This recipe is adapted from Lou's Rich Fruit Cake Recipe, and is for those who prefer a lighter fruit cake.
For the ingredient amounts for eight different tin sizes, please download our free recipe sheet in
grams - it is ready for printing! It is designed to print at full A4 size.
Don't forget to download our printable guide - this has all the recipe amounts for eight tin sizes!
- Plain Flour
- Dark Brown Muscovado Sugar
- Soft Brown Sugar
- Vanilla Extract
- Brandy (optional!)
- Chopped Almonds
- Glace Cherries
- Mixed Peel
- Lemon Juice and Rind
- Mixed Spice
- Line your baking tins well, to ensure your baked cakes come out clean.
- Mix all the fruit and lemon rind. Pour over the brandy and lemon juice. Soak overnight, but a day or two is best! You can use another alcoholic liquid such as rum if preferred or fruit juice for a non alcoholic version.
- When your fruit is ready, set your oven to 140oC and line your tins neatly to achieve an even base and sides.
- Cream the butter and sugar. Add the vanilla and then the eggs then mix in all the dry ingredients. Then stir in the Brandy and soaked fruit.
- Bake for the first hour at 140°C, then turn the oven down to 130°C and bake according to size (these minimum times are approximate and will depend on your oven). A clean skewer inserted into the centre of the cake, should come out clean when the cake is cooked.
- When out of the oven, you may wish to add more brandy while the cake is hot. Keep it in the tin to retain it's shape until cooled.
- Double wrap in cling film and store in an airtight container for at least 3 months for the best flavour.