This three day masterclass in wedding cakes will teach you everything you need to know
to become a wedding cake designer and decorator professionally, from design to delivery!
3 days - Oct 3rd - 5th
Tue 4th Dec, 2018 - 2 spaces left
3 days - Dec 4th - 6th
Class Details Tutor: Louise Wilson
Time: 10am - 4pm
Skill Level: Beginner
Cost: £395 (installments available)
Equipment: All equipment and icing will be provided.
Cake: You will provide the cakes from a recipe we send you.
Class size: This class has a maximum of 4 students.
- Designing wedding cakes and the questions you need to ask your bride
- Time management and planning, and how you work out your schedule
- Hints and tips on baking and storing your cakes
- Levelling and layering a cake
- Filling your cake
- Using different pastes
- Making your own flower paste
- Covering your cakes to a high standard
- Decorative techniques - garrett frills, swags, drapes, bows
- Hints and tips on using fresh flowers on wedding cakes
- Making your own glue
- Making Royal icing to the perfect consistency
- Making a piping bag with wax paper
- Using templates for piping practice
- Piping skills and techniques
- Creating sugar roses using flower paste
- Rescuing mistakes and accidents
- Dowelling tiered cakes correctly
- Advice on different cake stands, pillars, separators and supports
- Glitter guidelines
- Lots of helpful advice on working with customers
- Working with portion sizes
- Working with different shapes and sizes of cakes
- Food Hygiene and Environmental health - what you need to know before you begin
- Helpful advice on the type of insurance cover you will need
- Pricing your wedding cakes - working it all out
- Deposits - how much should you take and when?
- Invoicing your customers and getting full payment
- Disclaimers and your terms and conditions
- Tastings and viewings - what should you offer?
- Recipe for Lou's cake
- Using ribbons to create different effects around your cakes and board
- Helpful tips on boxing awkward cakes and transporting cakes to the venue
- Helpful advice on what to do at the venue, who needs to sign off on the cake and the types of forms you should provide to safeguard yourself should the caterers damage your work of art!
Why you should come to this class Throughout history, and across many cultures, the one constant element of wedding ceremonies and celebrations has been the wedding cake. With over 230,000 marriages in England every year, there are a lot of cakes to make, and every bride wishes to have an amazing and beautiful cake, for their dream wedding. We'll teach you how to achieve stunning results with your cakes (from design to completion), which you will feel proud to display with confidence.
Whether you wish to pursue a professional career in cake-making or just develop cake decorating as a hobby, this course will give you the opportunity to work closely alongside Lou, benefitting from years of experience whilst picking up her multiple tricks of the trade. We teach in a relaxed and informal manner and Lou is happy to answer any questions you can throw at her.
What will you need to bring to this class? You will need to bring 1 cake with you which is a 10", we provide a recipe that you can use which you can also download here. We will provide an 8" and a 6" dummy for the top two tiers.
We ask you to bake the cakes as Lou spends a portion of the first morning talking to each of you about your cake, and how you can improve your baking, and also how to fix any mistakes. If we provided you with perfect cakes then we feel we would have a missed teaching opportunity!
We will supply the buttercream, sugarpaste, flowerpaste and modelling pastes, plus all the equipment and boards and boxes to take your cake home in!
Please bring a packed lunch with you. The Cake Makery will provide tea, coffee and cold refreshments as needed!
What will you take home from this class? A beautiful 3 tier cake, that has been baked, covered and decorated by you, that would be fit for any wedding!
All the cake boards and boxes are supplied free of additional charge
Each student will also be given our 101 page PDF tutorial (emailed to you after the class) that we wrote to accompany this class, giving full instructions and lots of useful forms and printouts for your wedding cake business.
Class level This class is for beginners and anyone looking to perfect their skills a bit further, giving you the confidence to cover and decorate big cakes at home.
Class times This is a six hour class on each of the three days and has a maximum of four students, this allows us to give you more personalised teaching and attention.
These photos show the cake you will create during this class
Lou's training was originally in graphic design and illustration, and she spent 10 years working in graphics and running her own business. There were always amazing cakes for family and friends' special occasions!
However the arrival of Lou's two children was life changing. A new home-based occupation needed to be found and the old love of baking combined with the natural artistic talent, lead to the birth of Lou's Amazing Cakes.
After more than 20 years of commercial cake decorating, many people have asked after Lou's skills. Amazed that people wanted to learn from her, Lou was tentative when she first started demonstrating her sugarcraft, but quickly found it rewarding and enjoyable. She is an accredited demonstrator for the British Sugarcraft Guild and regularly demos for them around the UK.
When Elly called Lou in early 2011, it came at a time when Lou was rethinking the balance of her business. Lou was considering teaching and passing on her skills on a more full time basis, but still wishing to continue some commercial work as Lou's Amazing Cakes. Meeting with Elly made that development easy and sparked the start of an exciting new sugarcraft school - The Cake Makery.
Lou still makes amazing cakes for customers and now also enjoys passing on her years of experience and knowledge of sugarcraft. She is also regularly featured in Squires Kitchen's Wedding magazine, is one of the Wedding Cake Showroom entrants at the annual Squires Exhibition in Farnham, and won Gold and First Place for her painting on cakes entry in this year’s competition at the show.
The Cake Makery is delighted to have Lou as our head teacher, and she leads the way with her informative classes, leaving her students buzzing with the confidence to go home and use their new skills and tips to create their own amazing cakes.
and there won't be any more time to
do the things you always wanted.
Do it now!
Our classes are small so that you get the training that you have paid for. The tutorials that go with every class are like no other.
Very detailed written instruction, accompanied by lots of photos and templates. We provide all the equipment and pastes,
just come along, have fun and learn a new skill!